Comments for Test the APIs

I see. You can check in your User Pool to see if the user is created in there. Also maybe post the full command and output here.

here is my command:

npx aws-api-gateway-cli-test --username=’myemail@mydomain.com’ --password='Passw0rd!' --user-pool-id='us-east-1_1XxXXxXXX’ --app-client-id=‘111xxxx1xxxxx1xxxxxxxxx1xx’ --cognito-region=‘us-east-1’ --identity-pool-id='us-east-1:x1xx1111-111x-1xx1-1111-xx111111111x’ --invoke-url='https://x1xxxxxxx1.execute-api.us-east-1.amazonaws.com/prod' --api-gateway-region='us-east-1' --path-template='/notes' --method='POST' --body='{"content":"hello world 2!”,”attachment":"hello.jpg"}'

here is the output:

npx: installed 105 in 2.912s
Authenticating with User Pool
User does not exist.

I’m using a Mac Book Pro

So I noticed after I posted this that some of the quotes were messed up. So I fixed them, but then I get this:

npx: installed 105 in 4.947s
Getting temporary credentials
Invalid identity pool configuration. Check assigned IAM roles for this pool.

at least this is getting me closer! but now I’m sad I deleted my pool and recreated, because that might have screwed up the Role, but I think I’m using the same role.

sadly I can’t figure out what is wrong with the IAM Role, I notice that copying it over from the PDF is rather error prone, but I keep getting the same error message every time I find an error. At this point I think it is correct.

Here is what I have:

{
    "Version": "2012-10-17",
    "Statement": [
        {
            "Effect": "Allow",
            "Action": [
                "cognito-identity:*",
                "mobileanalytics:PutEvents",
                "cognito-sync:*"
            ],
            "Resource": "*"
        },
        {
            "Action": "execute-api:Invoke",
            "Resource": "arn:aws:execute-api:us-east-1:*:x1xxxxxxx1/*/*/*"
        },
        {
            "Action": "s3:*",
            "Resource": [
                "arn:aws:s3:::notes-app-uploads/private/${cognito-identity.amazonaws.com:sub}/*"
            ]
        }
    ]
}

Interestingly, AWS tells me that One or more actions do not have an applicable resource. but I’m not sure how to resolve.

–edit, since I’m a “new user” and can’t post more than three times…

short answer, it was copy paste formatting all along! I shouldn’t have recreated my pool!

So finally got past the error… since I recreated the identity pool, the trust relationship id was wrong, fixed that and now i get a runtime error:

and i fixed it by replacing fancy double quotes in json with normal double quotes… sigh

hope these last few posts of mine help someone else!

2 Likes

I have built this 3 times now and am not able to get past this particular error. Can anyone possibly help with the unexpected token error? I have written the shell command so many ways now and I am frazzled! Thanks in advance.

1 Like

What’s the error you are seeing? Can you post the complete output and the logs?

Hi! @nateous I found out what was wrong in my case: YAML indentation/error.

If you getting this error, check the CognitoAuthRole block for identation error. In my case I’ve forgotten to enter a new line for “StringEquals: cognito-identity.amazonaws.com:aud:”

Copy the code from the chapter, deploy it and see if it works (https://serverless-stack.com/chapters/configure-cognito-identity-pool-in-serverless.html)

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Yes I had indentation issues too but finally found them!

I think using the PDF should be discouraged if you plan to copy paste from it. The warning is good but I didn’t think it would be that bad, but I’m new to yaml.

1 Like

@jayair I apologize for the delayed resoponse. I was not able to run the test in this part with the cmds for Windows. That being said I pressed on and I successfully built the app to the end of the tutorial! Everything works perfectly, auth, uploads, ssl, routes, cognito!!! This is my first full stack build and I am extatic that I was able to get it all working. Thank you very very much for all the detailed information in this walkthru. I am going to continue to the automation piece and extra credit immediately. Take care and again thanks for the great information. :nerd_face:

1 Like

That’s awesome to hear. Thanks for the kind words. If you want to share what you’ve built, let me know. We’d love to add it to this page - https://serverless-stack.com/showcase.html

Yeah copy-paste from the PDF has some serious problems.

The problem seems to be figuring out how to properly escape the double-quotes in PowerShell. The command works properly when you run regular cmd with administrator rights.

In PowerShell, I tried " and " and \", none of which got past the JSON parsing. Then I tried some placing the body content via a PowerShell variable. No dice.

So, maybe someone will figure out how to issue this command in PowerShell, but the workaround is regular cmd.

2 Likes

Hey Guys,
love this site. Could not figure out my current problem though…

When Testing the API I get the following response:

Making API request
{ status: 500,
statusText: ‘Internal Server Error’,
data: { status: false } }

So I enabled cloudwatch and got the following hint:

message: 'One or more parameter values were invalid: Type mismatch for key userId expected: S actual: NULL',
code: 'ValidationException',
time: 2018-11-11T14:46:19.051Z,
requestId: 'CTV93IGTFPGKI0H3U8E3131UQVVV4KQNSO5AEMVJF66Q9ASUAAJG',
statusCode: 400,
retryable: false,
retryDelay: 30.078120721084577 }

Any ideas why

event.requestContext.identity.cognitoIdentityId

seems not to return a valid value?

Thanks in advance,
Patrick

ok, got the error

authorizer: aws_iam

in serverless.yml was edited during development …

1 Like

@danketrotzdem Glad you figure it out.

@AaronOverton Yeah our Windows instructions are lacking. It would help if a Windows user can contribute how to set up their command line.

Is there a working example of using “aws-api-gateway-cli-test” to test the GET note endpoint?

I had to refactor the GET endpoint to use query params as any GET call I did in the CLI using a “body” would return a 403.

1 Like

Hello, I need help in this step I get the following:

E:\Documentos Usuarios\DELGADOCJ\Desktop\Serverless\notes-app-api>npx aws-api-gateway-cli-test --username admin@example.com --password Passw0rd! --user-pool-id us-east-2_xGNazPJrI --app-client-id 1uiieiq7un5ahf2lbpdlbg7c5m --cognito-region us-east-2 --identity-pool-id us-east-2:5fa10a30-1bf7-448e-a8e7-3ebd26984511 --invoke-url https://qp6797jm09.execute-api.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/prod --api-gateway-region us-east-2 --path-template /notes --method POST --body “{“content”:“hello world”,“attachment”:“hello.jpg”}”
npx: installed 105 in 17.341s
unable to verify the first certificate

This is very very strange… In the morning I got error… I try again in the afternoon and I get success:

npx: installed 105 in 21.675s
Making API request
{ status: 200,
  statusText: 'OK',
  data:
   { userid: 'us-east-2:1069b87e-7ef7-4ec3-a9d9-ddb143e73927',
     noteid: 'ed970ce0-e9d7-11e8-8ada-9f4cf6c1c3e5',
     content: 'hello world',
     attachment: 'hello.jpg',
     createdAt: 1542397424814 } }

Yeah there isn’t one right now. But you need to pass in the query params as a JSON string params. Can you post what you were trying? I’ll try and reformat it.

1 Like

Good morning… Today November 19, here in Costa Rica it’s 9:46… in this moment I get again the error:

unable to verify the first certificate