Comments for Test the APIs

I’m having the same issue, did you resolve it ?

I’m having an issue where my body object is not being processed.

My body flag is: --body='{"content":"hello test","attachment":"hello-test.jpg"}'

but I get the following response (removed userID):

{ status: 200,
  statusText: 'OK',
  data:
   { userId: 'UserID',
     noteId: '04627170-451d-11ea-a651-958c37f77029',
     createdAt: 1580580151815 } 
}

I get an entry in my DynamoDB table and my code is exact to the tutorial.

My CloudWatch logs reveals:

• Method request body before transformations:
{
    "content": "hello test",
    "attachment": "hello-test.jpg"
}
  • the create function in invoked, but then logs
  • (I removed the userID) Endpoint response body before transformations:
{
{
    "statusCode": 200,
    "headers": {
        "Access-Control-Allow-Origin": "*",
        "Access-Control-Allow-Credentials": true
    },
    "body": "{\"userId\":\"USERID\",\"noteId\":\"04627170-451d-11ea-a651-958c37f77029\",\"createdAt\":1580580151815}"
}

Not sure why my body json won’t get processed. Any ideas?

I’ve resolved it, insted of “” put ‘’

“{“content”:“hello world”,“attachment”:“hello.jpg”}”

‘{“content”:“hello world”,“attachment”:“hello.jpg”}’

1 Like

Thanks for replying…I used the single quotes around the cli command, the double quotes you see is what I copied from CloudWatch logs

I am experiencing a similar issue discussed before, but I did not seem to find a solution here. I am receiving this message:

{ status: 403,
  statusText: 'Forbidden',
  data:
   { message: 'Credential should be scoped to a valid region, not \'us-east-1\'. ' } }

My cli command is as follows:

npx aws-api-gateway-cli-test --username='admin@example.com' --password='Somepassword' --user-pool-id='us-east-2_XXXXXX' --app-client-id='xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx' --cognito-region='us-east-2' --identity-pool-id='us-east-2:xxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx' --invoke-url='https://xxxxxxxxxx.execute-api.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/prod' api-gateway-region='us-east-2' --path-template='/notes' --method='POST' --body='{"content":"hello world","attachment":"hello.jpg"}'

I’ve double checked everything on AWS and ensured it was set to us-east-2. I even checked my default settings in .aws

Maybe I am missing something obvious but I’ve quadruple checked everything and at a loss what is off.

okay, so after posting the markdown it was painfully obvious to me that I was missing the ‘–’ before 'api-gateway-region.

:man_facepalming:

Are you still having issues? Can you console.log inside your Lambda function to see whats going on?

For anyone else having this error:

{
  statusText: 'Bad Gateway',
  data: { message: 'Internal server error' }
}

One possible solution is to escape the string at the body option

Yes!

I’m consoling out data & params.Items in create.js but nothing shows up in my CloudWatch logs for the /aws/lambda/notes-app-api-dev-create lambda & my gateway logs are the same as I posted before.

First I would make sure that your create functions are actually getting called. If they are, then I would find the spot where it is failing.

From your description it sounds like it’s not getting called at all?

@jayair

Test the API

npx aws-api-gateway-cli-test \
--username='admin@example.com' \
--password='Passw0rd!' \
--user-pool-id='YOUR_DEV_COGNITO_USER_POOL_ID' \
--app-client-id='YOUR_DEV_COGNITO_APP_CLIENT_ID' \
--cognito-region='YOUR_DEV_COGNITO_REGION' \
--identity-pool-id='YOUR_DEV_IDENTITY_POOL_ID' \
--invoke-url='YOUR_DEV_API_GATEWAY_URL' \
--api-gateway-region='YOUR_DEV_API_GATEWAY_REGION' \
--path-template='/notes' \
--method='POST' \
--body='{"content":"hello world","attachment":"hello.jpg"}'

To make the above command work in Windows Command Prompt, remove the =, \, ’ and have the command in a single line else they will be read as multiple commands. --body message should be as shown in the sample below:

npx aws-api-gateway-cli-test --username [admin@example.com](mailto:admin@example.com) --password  Passw0rd! --user-pool-id YOUR_DEV_COGNITO_USER_POOL_ID --app-client-id YOUR_DEV_COGNITO_APP_CLIENT_ID --cognito-region  YOUR_DEV_COGNITO_REGION --identity-pool-id  YOUR_DEV_IDENTITY_POOL_ID --invoke-url YOUR_DEV_API_GATEWAY_URL --api-gateway-region  YOUR_DEV_API_GATEWAY_REGION --path-template  /notes --method  POST --body **"{\"content\":\"hello world\",\"attachment\":\"hello.jpg\"}"**

In Windows PowerShell, the difference is in --body (Double quotes is typed twice. That is one way the command works in PowerShell):

npx aws-api-gateway-cli-test --username [admin@example.com](mailto:admin@example.com) --password Passw0rd! --user-pool-id YOUR_DEV_COGNITO_USER_POOL_ID --app-client-id YOUR_DEV_COGNITO_APP_CLIENT_ID --cognito-region YOUR_DEV_COGNITO_REGION --identity-pool-id YOUR_DEV_IDENTITY_POOL_ID --invoke-url YOUR_DEV_API_GATEWAY_URL --path-template /notes --method POST --body **'{""content"":""hello world"",""attachment"":""hello.jpg""}'**
2 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing this :pray:t5:

The npx aws-api-gateway-cli-test works out just fine for the dev stage:

{
  statusText: 'OK',
  data: [
    {
      ProductId: '456d7760-6119-11ea-ba0b-1f24cdb58353',
      UserId: 'eu-central-1:89e011d5-907a-4375-ba19-b7b9d4dca4e0',
      CreatedAt: 1583657175510
    }
  ]
}

but for the prod stage I get an empty data array:

{ status: 200, statusText: 'OK', data: [] }

This is my call to prod:

npx aws-api-gateway-cli-test \
--username='admin@example.com' \
--password='Passw0rd!' \
--user-pool-id='eu-central-1_c8D3g4hxv' \
--app-client-id='7bsormil1soo7e1mpgkrpk4c64' \
--cognito-region='eu-central-1' \
--identity-pool-id='eu-central-1:58e6270f-f45b-4fe0-a876-a6546350d6c5' \
--invoke-url='https://3sj48f1a8d.execute-api.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/prod' \
--api-gateway-region='eu-central-1' \
--path-template='/products'

And this is my repo:

Appreciate any ideas on what could have happened :slight_smile:

EDIT:
I’ve made some changes to the key schema that might have broken the implementation. Still, the discrepancy between the output between the prod and dev stages is a bit weird.

Appreciate you sharing this!

403: Forbidden - I read the entire thread and tried all of the solutions suggested, and still got this error.

On a hunch based on some JSON issues I saw someone in the thread have I changed this:

--body='{"content":"hello world"}'

to this

--body='{}'

Was able to successfully hit my API with a 200 OK.

I can’t seem to format JSON in a way that the aws-api-gateway-cli-test will accept.

Had same issue on windows. Fixed it by having body as
–body ‘{ ““content””: ““hello world””, ““attachment””:"“hello.jpg”" }’

Over and over I was getting 403s when running the npx aws-api-gateway-cli-test

CognitoIdentityCredentials is not authorized to perform: execute-api:Invoke on resource

I had to go back to the Policy Document and create a new policy with less stringent InvokeFunction Resources for that cognito role like this …

From

{
        "Effect": "Allow",
        "Action": ["execute-api:Invoke"],
        "Resource": ["arn:aws:execute-api:us-east-1:*:8zXXXXh5/*/*/*"]
    },

to

{
        "Effect": "Allow",
        "Action": ["execute-api:Invoke"],
        "Resource": ["*"]
    }

Really not happy about having to do this – but after 2 hours, I had no choice. Anyone have similar issues?

I found these comments very helpful and it resolved my issues …

https://github.com/AnomalyInnovations/serverless-stack-com/issues/112#issuecomment-317204545

You can check if the IAM Role has been set properly by going to your AWS Console

IAM -> Roles -> Cognito_notesAuth_Role -> oneClick_Cognito_notesAuth_Role_XXXXXXXXX -> Edit Policy -> JSON:

Just had to re-copy/paste of the code from the tutorial with the properly set app values as guided in the tutorial and it worked for me.

2 Likes

Glad you figure it out. These are super annoying to deal with.

1 Like

This fixed it for me as well. Somehow my original policy edit did not get saved. Thanks for this tip.